"Have you ever met an average guy who tried to be different?" was the question posed to me by my friend Ceslie. I affirmed that I had. (I will expound on the previously mentioned question at another time.) I decided to post this question on Twitter like the millions ofother tweeps who pose thoughts or questions to the site just to see whose mind is "on some other ish" or who can be the most spooky deep; however, I digress. While most of the responses I get from my tweets are no more than just RTs(retweets) or those who are in accord with my post, I received the most thought provoking question in response from my friend Shaequan. Simply put, it read: "What do you define as average?" This was a puzzle to me for the simple fact that I'd made a statement in which I hadn't thoroughly processed each aspect; however, I appreciate @Steadysoul(aka Shaequan) for holding me accountable for my public statements and I subsequently accept his challenge in defining "average".
It is easy to give a Webster definition of a word because I believe that dictionaries only offer surface definitions; but to give just a hint of clarity, I will provide Webster's definition:
Average-typical; common; ordinary; lacking special distinction, rank or status; lacking exceptional quality or ability.
Typically, "average" is used as an adjective to describe a person. For example, if I were to say "John is of average intelligence" the majority of the population would interpret that statement to mean that John is "lacking in special distinction or ability" in the intelligence department. In other words, he ain't nothing to marvel at. I look at being average as just meeting the status quo, completing the bare minimum or failing to think outside of the box. Now when it comes to judging men, "average" is a common attribute amongst them. Often, men fail to think outside of the box when it comes to women. They treat all women the same and this lack of distinction is what separates the ordinary from the extraordinary. Any average thug can yet "What's up ma" from cafe; however, it takes an above average individual to think outside of the box systematically can come up with a different approach.
Of course people's perception of average does differ. So when I say I believe someone is average, my personal definition of that person is that they lack a certain special distinction.
Something to possibly mention/determine in part 2.
ReplyDeleteWhat determines what you consider average?
Is it something that is a constant or does it change depending on the situation/ does it change overtime.
Also....
Do you feel as if the way men treat women is a result of their upbringing or outside factors?
wonderful suggestions....stay tuned!!!!
ReplyDelete