Thursday, January 20, 2011

My struggle...if you want to call it that

I believe that speaking a situation into existence can change your outlook and confidence level toward the situation; however, I don't believe that having a positive attitude can in fact change the outcome of the situation. I first heard of the book "The Secret" on the E! reality show "Pretty Wild". The girls were all three of them home schooled and the foundation of their curriculum was based on this book. From what I understand, "The Secret" explains that the situations in one's life are controlled by one's thoughts whether they be positive or negative. For example, if an individual were up for a prestigious job interview and they had postive, confident thoughts about their interview and about getting the job, then the person would surely be hired. On the flip side of this, if the same individual had a negative outlook on the likelihood of receiving a job offer then it would be more than probable they would not be hired.
To me, this sounds a little preposterous: thinking yourself into a job? Really? Obviously I strongly disagree with this mentality; however, i do believe that one's attitude toward a situation can change one's performance and through that one has a better chance of succeeding. Success is like an equation: hardwork + confidence= possible success but like all problems there are many ways to solving it. I would like the reader to notice I said "possible success". Success is not guaranteed to everyone in this life, therefore it would be dishonest and illogical to put an absolute equation on how to be successful. There are only aspects one can improve on to better one's chances of becoming successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment